Saturday, June 11, 2011

Best solar image yet

Update: I've reprocessed this shot. The result is here.

Today I went through my last round of imaging and found that everything below 1/100 of a second was clipping in the brightest area. So I reprocessed my 1/100 sec exposure in Photoshop, stretched and sharpened it in Registax (I'm running Windows 7 with a Parallels virtual machine on a Mac in OS 10.6.7), then did some final tweaking in Photoshop. I used the Shadows/Highlights feature to reduce the limb darkening. (I use it all the time for the photos on this blog. It's a simplified version of the features used for HDR).

Here's the result:

Click to enlarge
Note that the spots are much darker now. A gap in the histogram is filled in now, too. I think this is as much as I'm going to get out of this one. It's supposed to be very clear Monday. Maybed I'll take some more pictures...

3 comments:

  1. Very cool picture, I see things like this and it makes me wonder about what is out there. Time for me to get a telescope, as soon as I get some money!
    - Great pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments now require approval by a sentient life form. Prompted by an increase in spam and only after careful and lengthy consideration did the management reluctantly implement this change in policy. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.